Week 1: Two Cultures

In 1959, Charles Percy Snow gave a presentation on The Two Cultures and The Scientific Revolution in which he identified two cultures with literary intellectuals on one side and natural sciences on the other side. He indicated that the curricula of schools and universities are the problem that create two cultures. In his second essay, Snow suggested that a third, new culture would emerge that would close the gap between intellectuals and scientists.

Even though intellectuals and scientists can be said to be physically separated on UCLA’s campus, the university attempts to bridge this gap by requiring students to take general educations classes that cover a broad range of subjects. Without these required classes, I probably would never have taken a class on the other side of campus. These classes have the ability to foster an appreciation in students of subjects that are very different from what they are studying. Especially after this unit, I am beginning to appreciate and understand the importance of an education in both humanities and sciences.


                   


Kevin Kelly points to that fact that “while science sat in the cultural backseat, its steady output of wonderful products—radio, TV, and computer chips—furiously bred a pop culture based on the arts.” Nowadays it is becoming more and more obvious that you can’t have science without art and art without science. Video games are a perfect example of the blend of art and science.





Growing up, I got to first-hand experience a division of cultures. I grew up in the United States as a child of immigrant parents. I attended my first day of Kindergarten without ever having spoken a single word of English, so I felt alienated from my peers for the first few years of my education. Once I became fluent in English, I would try to hide the fact that I am Bulgarian. Now, however, I am able to harmoniously marry the two parts of me. I now embrace the fact that I am Bulgarian instead of being ashamed of it. I have managed to hold on to my roots by speaking Bulgarian with my family and visiting the country every other year. As Denizen Magazine puts it, I am a third culture kid—my identity is made up of a blend of the culture in either country.





References:

"Third Culture Kids." Denizen. WordPress, n.d. Web. 09 Apr. 2017.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.

Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.

Snow, C.P. The Two Cultures: And a Second Look. N.p.: n.p., 1963. Print.

Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture." The Third Culture. N.p., n.d. Web. Feb. 1998
Bohm, D. "On Creativity." JSTOR. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2013.

Images:

"Nintendo DS." Pinterest. Pinterest, n.d. Web. 09 Apr. 2017.


"Third Culture Kids." Spin, Strangeness, and Charm. WordPress, 27 Nov. 2010. Web. 09 Apr. 2017.

Comments

  1. Great blog Nicole! I really like how you used videos games as a combination of Art and Science, because I also feel video games originated from these two fields. The campus has separated the two fields across from each other, but GE courses definitely give us an opportunity to check some other classes out. I can relate to your childhood as I was born from immigrant parents, and I am happy to hear you have overcome being shy about it. It is truly something to be proud of who you are and where you come from. Keep in mind Immigrants built this country.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Math + Art

Week 4: MedTech + Art